Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"With Honors"

This time of year reminds me of my high school graduation. I sat there in my seat surrounded by my fellow graduates. As they announced the names, I mentally ordered myself not to trip while walking up to get my diploma. That was not enough to block out the announcements which lit a fire of anger inside me. The 5 preceding girls' names had little memos attached to their names, "______ _______, with honors...._______ ______, with honors...and it went on to "Me, [long pause]and continued _______ _______, with honors."
Thanks a lot lady! So not only did I want to burst out crying, think about my parents, and the other 15 people whose grades weren't announced in front of 300 people. We felt like garbage. I had to face my family in the audience after the ceremony. Nobody could forget that audible silence, which seemed to say, "She didn't achieve a 95 GPA, so she's stupid..." Well, I'm SO-RRY that I couldn't memorize every Gadol's lineage back to the Avos. And every female's maiden name along the line. The other girls must have also had tough critics to face. Can you imagine what shame, guilt, and anxiety fell over us? All that horrible negative, hurtful emotion-just to honor the smart kids who already know they're smart? They can read. They see their report card, is that not good enough?
I graduated from a class of 40. According to my calculations, which might not be accurate-for obvious reasons- 15 girls didn't graduate "with honors." In which case, keep your mouth shut. If it's the other way around, go right ahead, show off, especiallyt if I'm one of them, but when it's such a majority, SHUT UP.

Comments:
why should you be ashamed just becuase you didn't know all the gedolim's families? If the whole thing is a joke, there's no reason to be embarrassed!!
 
Seems like honors work backwards in your school. It's supposed to be that few get honors, so that it is good to have your name announced, not bad to have your name not announced. At Brooklyn College (wink), to hae honors (cum laude) you used to need a 3.0. But half the school was graduating with honors (what's so bad about that?!) so they made it 3.5 for cum laude... which NO school has.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?